This salad was inspired by a local restaurant that I used to frequent regularly in pre-Covid-19 times. The benefit of eating something dozens of times means it can be easily recreated at home. I took the opportunity to throw both fresh and shelf-stable ingredients together to whip up one of my favorite light and crisp meals. I find using a blend of shelf stable products mixed with fresh options really helps stretch my grocery hauls. Even though over half of this salad came from canned and jarred ingredients, each bite was still super fresh. This dish is very customizable and a great way to utilize some pantry staples.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/3 cup chickpeas
- 1/3 cup black olives
- 2 hearts of palm, sliced
- 1 carrot, shaved
- 1/4 small onion, diced
- 5-7 jarred banana peppers rings
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon hummus (optional, but makes the dressing creamy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by mixing your dressing: add olive oil, vinegar, hummus, and Italian seasoning to a small bowl. Combine with a whisk or fork until well-combined.
- Add chopped lettuce, diced onion, carrot ribbons, and canned goods to a bowl.
- Drizzle dressing atop salad, add salt and pepper to taste, and toss well.
- Romaine, iceberg, and living lettuce last much longer than mixed greens.
- Canned/ jarred artichokes, cucumber, sliced mushrooms, and/or vegan cheese would be really good here, too!
- Please remember to recycle or re-purpose your cans and jars after use.