What is it about the pandemic that urges us to make banana baked goods? This is my second time baking banana bread/muffins and I have almost burned through my frozen banana stash. I’m totally okay with it as banana smoothies aren’t seeming all that appealing at the moment.
While I made mini muffins here, you can totally recreate this recipe using traditional muffin tins. I also used frozen bananas, but if you have ripe, fresh options on hand, go for it! I do find that the frozen and thawed bananas are a bit sweeter than fresh, so if you use fresh, I recommend doubling the sugar. Otherwise, the recipe works the same.
Although delicious on their own, Addison, my fiance, whipped up some super tasty peanut butter frosting for these bad boys! Does anyone else love peanut butter with their banana baked goods? If so, you are going to love these! But if you don’t, they are amazing on their own. Enjoy.
Serves: 24 mini muffins or 12 regular muffins
- 3 frozen bananas, thawed and mashed
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (if using fresh bananas, use 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 vegan egg (see below)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bow. Combine mashed bananas, egg, vanilla, and oil in separate bowl. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir until well-combined.
- Fill greased or lined muffin cups about 3/4 full
- If making mini muffins, bake for 9-11 minutes. If making full-sized muffins, bake 18-22 minutes.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 4 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk +/-
- Combine peanut butter, powdered sugar, and melted vegan butter.
- Slowly add soy milk – consider adding more or less to achieve desired consistency.
- Allow muffins to cool completely. Frost with knife or piping kit/ cut sandwich bag.
- Vegan egg – I used Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer, but you can use the following: 1 T ground flax seed or chia seed + 2 T water. Mix and let sit 1 minute.
- Incorporating chopped walnuts or chocolate chips would be hella good!
- Top frosted muffins with sea salt or chocolate drizzle, hello!