A super comforting dish made from a variety of shelf-stable ingredients, Lentil Bolognese is a must-try! Seriously, try it; you might have all the ingredients in your pantry already. The thick, protein-rich sauce is quite versatile and tastes great over pasta, rice, steamed veggies, and so on.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach (or 1.5 cups fresh)
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 20 oz. marinara sauce (typically 3/4 bottle of jarred pasta sauce)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup brown or green lentils
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by sautéing onion and garlic in olive oil. Cook until tender.
- Add frozen spinach, cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, marinara sauce, seasonings, broth, and lentils. Stir well to coat evenly.
- Bring to a controlled simmer, cover, and cook until lentils are soft and well-cooked stirring every 5-10 minutes. This will take about 30 minutes.
- If you prefer your bolognese a bit thinner, add 1/4-1/2 cup broth and or pasta water toward the end.
- Serve over pasta or base of choice.