Tuna and chicken salads were never really my thing, but give me some mashed chickpea salad, and I am one happy vegan! This chickpea salad recipe is incredibly easy, which as you may have guessed, is basically my middle name when it comes to food creation. It can be eaten on its own, served atop a bed of greens, or sandwiched between lightly toasted bread. The delicious taste and versatility make this protein-packed salad a must-try!
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons vegan mayo or blended silken tofu
- 1 medium stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons each: dried dill, onion powder, and garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 Tablespoon nori or dulse flakes (seaweed for a seafood-ish taste)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well combined, scraping the sides occasionally. Do not over-process. The goal is not hummus-like consistency, but a more chunky texture.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can definitely mash this up by hand. It will take longer if using a potato masher (or even a fork), but I’ve totally done it and it turned out lovely. If you take this route, chop celery into extra small pieces and add to the mashed mixture toward the end.