It may be nearing summer, but I’m a souper star year round. And I love a reason to use up my homemade broth! This stew is quite creamy and rich, yet requires no dairy or non-dairy substitutes. I attribute much of the rich mouthfeel to peanut butter, which might sound odd in a stew, but I’m here to tell you it’s a must-try.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 2 cups bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup peanut butter*
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat large soup pot, add olive oil, and begin sauteing onion, carrot, and celery. Saute until slightly tender.
- Add in frozen spinach, mushrooms, garlic, and spices. Cook until frozen spinach is thawed.
- Add in chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and combine well.
- Serve and enjoy!
*creamy peanut butter or chunky peanut butter will work well here. Ideally, opt for one without added sugar.